Ok, not gonna lie, sometimes I miss Prime. I preordered a book from Bookshop and that’s fine but I’m dying to read it and I figured it would be here by Thursday and the shipping confirmation says next Monday. I’ve been planning my week around reading that book. LOL That’s what bookish people do! But I’ve also recently noticed that none of my Kindle purchases show up instantly anymore. My KU books do, but not my purchases. So yeah, Amazon really treats you as a second class citizen when you don’t do their program.
It’s all fine. I am going to the theater tonight anyway and won’t be reading. And this is just a note to myself that I don’t need to be purchasing a ton of Kindle books anyway. I already probably have way more than I will read in my lifetime. I’ve kept my KU subscription and there are actually a bunch of books in there that I’d like to try. So for the price and my usage, I’m ok with keeping it, for now.
I’ve done pretty well on buying more locally and not on Amazon. In 2024, I had 83 orders placed, not counting digital. In 2025, it was 37. And so far this year, I’ve made 6 orders. I don’t think I will need to buy anything else on Amazon this year. I’m not traveling, and have pretty much stocked up on all the things I like to buy there (and can’t find equivalent locally). I buy Christmas presents locally now.
My digital orders have also fallen, but not by much. They still hover around the 50/year range. That’s books, movie purchases and rentals, etc. I’ll try to knock that down. It’s the impulses that kill me. There are a few authors I only buy on Kindle and those I will probably keep up with, but that’s maybe a quarter of my purchases.
So I miss the instant gratification, but I’m doing fine without it. I will survive if I don’t get to read my new book as planned. And it’s money saved, aaaaassssssss long as I don’t spend it somewhere else. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment