Monday, November 16, 2015

The Temples of Angkor

And now for the temples. Angkor Wat has been on my travel list since I first made it up and I finally get to cross it off. And there are so many temple ruins to see. I can easily see why people can spend a week or more here.


We ended up with 3 days in Siem Reap. We had planned for a bit longer but had some last minute flight cancellations and ended up cutting it shorter than we originally planned. You can see all the major temples and a few of the others in that time, especially if you sight see like me and my sister. We don't have to spend hours contemplating every little thing.  Plus, the humidity kills me and I was dripping wet most of the time so I can't imagine spending the entire day out exploring temples.

The other thing we didn't do was get up for the sunrise or stay for the sunset. The first 2 days were cloudy anyway and we wouldn't have been able to see it. I don't think we missed much. I'm sure it would have been beautiful but I feel like we got some pretty good views in without the sunrise. So we had our drivers pick us up at 9 all three days.


I have hundreds of pictures but am going to try and post just a few of my favorites if I can manage to narrow them down.

    
Ta Prohm - "Tomb Raider" temple

Chau Say Tevoda

Baphuon
Baphuon is huge! Lots of stairs to climb on this one but the view from the top is worth it. 


Bayon
Bayon

Bayon is pretty cool. Not my favorite but all the faces are pretty fascinating. 

One of the spires of Angkor Wat
Crossing the moat
Going across the moat to Angkor Wat was kind of a surreal experience. I just couldn't believe I was actually there. And of course, even though we went during a not busy season, it's hard to get photos that people aren't in. Especially in the more famous spots.

Close up in Banteay Srei

Banteay Srei
Banteay Srei is beautiful and shouldn't be missed. However, it takes a while to get out there (on tuk-tuk) and is small and filled with tourists. It's possible we went at the wrong time. It's worth it but be prepared for lots of people. Except for some zooms of the details, I don't think I got one picture without people in it.

Banteay Kdai

Banteay Kdai

Preah Khan

Preah Khan
I'm not sure if I could pick a favorite. The famous ones were great, but some of the others that are a little more in ruins and not as busy were probably the best to explore.

Elephant at Ta Som

Ta Som



No comments:

Post a Comment