Friday, November 13, 2015

Siem Reap

From Hanoi, we flew to Siem Reap. It was a breath of fresh air after the chaos of Hanoi. It was busy and there was the bustle of tourists all over but it felt less chaotic and I felt like I could cross the street without a death wish.


One of the things nobody told us before we left the states was that they take USD in Cambodia. Almost all the prices are listed in USD and you can pull it out of the ATMs. We had changed some money to Riel before we left the airport but actually had a hard time using it. And with all the prices listed in USD, we had to covert the Riel before we could pay with it. Except for the grocery store. The computer had prices listed in both Riel and USD. But if you paid in USD, you got Riel for change.I ended up bringing home some of the small bills that are only worth cents. I think I'm making bookmarks out of them.


We stayed at the Memoire d'Angkor Boutique hotel and really liked it. It wasn't very big but our room was nice.


And as it turns out, I don't seem to have a lot of pictures of Siem Reap, the city. We didn't see a lot of it though. We spent the mornings at the temples (which I'll do in another post) and would rest in the afternoon and then spend the evening around the night market and Pub street.


The night market was just full of tons and tons of stalls with all kinds of cheap tourist junk. And I'm not trying to put it down. We bought stuff there. You just had to look around. Most of it was the same and then you would find that one thing that was different and worth buying. I ended up with a bracelet, scarf, and sarong to take home and then we got the family some little gifts there as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment