Pages

Sunday, April 5, 2020

General Conference Thoughts

This was general conference weekend and we all participated in our own homes as the pandemic is still ongoing.
I just have some thoughts I wanted to get out.

First off, I was thinking about a news article I recently read that was about churches trying to get an “essential” exception because it’s vital that people can continue to worship. I happen to agree that people need to continue to worship, but I would argue that it still has to be distant from each other to slow the spread of COVID-19. Which just makes me grateful for my church and the prophet and the inspiration to make us more home centered. This is our 2nd year of Come Follow Me and even though we aren’t together (and I do miss the being together) we are still studying the same things worldwide.  I do miss the Sunday worship, but as I have been trying to make my sabbath day different from the rest of my week, having my own little devotional, I have had some good time to focus on some things like stories in the Book of Mormon and of course on Jesus Christ, and I have to admit that it’s been good for me and I have grown because of it.
And then of course, there is conference weekend. I never did go to Salt Lake to see it live, so in my own house is normal (although I miss being with my family). I can’t help think how we are being guided if we listen to the prophet. I don’t know if he foresaw this exact pandemic, but President Nelson (and many of the apostles) have taught many things that have helped me personally. Even just with food storage and savings. Also, they have said this is temporary. The temples are closed and I can’t help but think that they won’t stay closed for long as there is still a lot of work to be done. As they announced 8 new temples, I have confidence that we will get through the pandemic and get back to normal. Or at least normal with a bit more gratitude and lessons learned to make us better people.

Which brings me to myself and the things I need to do and I’m refocusing on things that are important. My recommend expired at the end of March and we weren’t going to church for me to get it renewed. I should probably contact my bishop anyway to see if it’s possible right now. The prophet called for a worldwide fast on the last Sunday of March (29) and now he has called for another one this coming Friday on Good Friday. I participated in the last one and I must admit it was the first time in a while that I had seriously fasted. I don’t know what good it did the world, but I know it did me so much good. The renewal I felt was absolutely worth it. So with faith, I will participate in this next one.

Things I have gotten out of conference: I need to put some effort into my religion. I need to go to the temple. I need to remember I can’t do everything at once, but it shouldn’t stop me from doing the one thing I need to do at that moment and I should seek the help of the spirit to decide what that one thing is for today. And after this pandemic is over, there is still so, so much in the world that is wrong and has to be faced and good people everywhere (and me personally) need to do our part. And it’s ok that I am not perfect (not even close) and I have to keep trying.

I loved the one of the first songs from the choir. They sang It is Well With My Soul and I don’t remember the first time the they sang it but man, it was powerful to me this time.

And wow! A temple in China! And Dubai! The work is going forward and I want to be part of it, even if it’s just in my own circle and sphere of influence.









No comments:

Post a Comment