Wednesday, August 5, 2015

PiYo - Week 1 Recap

I finished the first week of the PiYo workouts. Walking (and a bit of hiking) is the only exercise I've done for a while now so I have a lot of muscles that haven't been used in the ways that PiYo is using them. Or in other words: I'm sore. But it's a good sore.


So what do I think? I'm overweight so it's been a bit hard for me. I have to do almost every modification.


I'll start with the not so good:


I found very quickly that I need more of a warm up for my body, especially if I’m doing the workout in the morning after just getting out of bed. I’ve started warming myself up by getting on my treadmill or bike and just getting myself to the point where I am comfortable for PiYo. It’s not a problem because the pre-workout is good for me too.




It moves really fast. Maybe if I was an athlete or in great shape to start, I wouldn’t have a problem with the pace. Also, I’m very uncoordinated in general and learning even basic aerobic moves is usually a challenge for me. So I’m slow to do the moves which means I don’t get all the reps in, and there aren’t a lot of reps to start.
I have done yoga before, including live classes. I never kept up with it to get much above a beginner level but I think without some of that live instruction (or even DVD instruction), some of the yoga positions would be hard to do correctly. The Align DVD did show some stuff, but it was also at a much slower pace. If I were going into this cold, I would probably be doing it all wrong. As it is, I’m sure I’m doing some of it wrong just because of the pace.


The good:
I can feel my muscles working and that feels great.
My wrists are already getting stronger after one week. She says they will so I wasn’t too worried about it and have just been trying not to overdo it and injure myself. But I can already see improvement there.
With the extra walking and stuff I’ve been doing, I feel like I’m getting some good workouts in.
I’m not saying this is because of one week of PiYo, but my jeans do feel loose today. I’m sure it’s because I’ve already worn them once., but it’s a good enough feeling that I’m ready to get going with the second week.
I might add that I started on a different day than the calendar that came with it. I am following the workout schedule, I just planned it so that the rest day hits on Sunday, which is the day I'm taking off.
On to week 2...


No comments:

Post a Comment