Monday, September 15, 2014

Living the good times

A few years ago I made myself a collage on a piece of poster board and titled it “My Motivation to be Healthy”.  I hung it up in my bathroom. It was my way of reminding me why I wanted to take care of myself both physically and emotionally. It’s full of pictures of places I want to travel, clothes, motivational sayings, family, books, tv shows… just things that I like.  It’s still got some space and every once in a while I’ll add to it.  I took a good look at it the other day and realized something. I’ve told myself for so many years that I will be able to do certain things or go certain places when I am a certain way or a certain weight, etc.  But there are so many pictures on that board that I’ve already done.  I’ve been to Italy, Machu Picchu, concerts…done things with my family.  There are still a lot of things on the board I haven’t done but it’s not because of what I weigh or anything else.  I just haven’t got to them yet.  I’m glad that regardless of what I tell myself, I haven’t let these ideas that I’m not good enough stop me from actually doing the things I want to do.  I’ve been living my life while I was telling myself that one day I’ll really be living my life.

Anyway, all those things on my motivation board are still really good reasons to take care of myself and be healthy and keep working towards it (and they really have helped motivate me). But instead of waiting for the good times, I’m going to be more diligent in realizing that I’m actually living the good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment