I don’t consider myself unpatriotic, but I also don’t think romanticizing the past and future are helpful. But I can celebrate our unique constitution, the values and ideals of freedom, while also knowing that not all are free or found refuge here. Other people have said it better than I can, but we can celebrate and grieve.
I have no plans for the rest of the day. The governor declared a ban on fireworks, with cities being able to make their own plans, and my city banned them city wide. They don’t even do a 4th of July fireworks show because they do July 24th in a big way. But the last few nights have been blissfully free of fireworks noises. I do expect to hear a little bit tonight from neighboring cities, and I’m sure somebody will be letting them off illegally. But seriously, we are still on fire and nobody needs more of that.
I got up early this morning and was at the farmer’s market a little after 8. They have some fun stuff going on for the 4th and I wanted to do something to be part of it. Weird, how as I’m getting older, I’m craving more community. Funny thing, I ran into 2 people from my water aerobics class, which I started going to for the people. I’m seriously considering seeing if I can volunteer at the booth next year. I wouldn’t want to do it every week, but I could do it a couple times.
Anyway, I got myself a bunch of berries (blueberry, raspberry, and blackberry) and had to walk those back to my car so I didn’t smash them. The flat didn’t fit into the bag I took. And then I also got some fresh peas and potatoes, and an onion. I had seen a fun fizzy pop on Instagram that the lemonade stand was doing and there wasn’t a line so I got one. It was basically Sprite with strawberry and blueberry flavoring but the way they stacked it made it red, white, and blue. 😉 Then I bought myself a cilantro chicken empanada to go with it. It was a delicious breakfast. As I was headed to the shade to sit and eat, I saw the flyover from the jets from the Air Force base. Honestly, I think those are pretty cool.
And one of the local indie bookstores I haven’t been to was supposed to open early so I was heading in that direction and not watching my feet and I totally tripped over a big construction sign and went down. I was fine and got right back up again (I can do that thanks to the muscles I’m working at water aerobics) but it was in front of a lot of people and quite embarrassing. A lady came over to make sure I was ok, which was really nice. So I crossed the street and walked down the block to find that the bookstore didn’t open as early as they had posted. But then I didn’t want to walk back where I fell, so I took the long way back to my car. I got 2 miles in, so there is that. I am fine, except I did bang up my knee and it’s sore. I put a bag of frozen peas on it for a bit.
So I’ve washed my berries and shelled my peas for later. Before I left for the market, I put some chicken in the slow cooker with a homemade bbq sauce. I’ll be having a nice dinner later. I don’t really want to do anything else. I’m doing laundry, but my knee hurts so I’m not doing any more cleaning (I did half yesterday) right now. I guess I’ll finish my book and take a nap? I’ve got a puzzle on the table I can work on as well. I did my people-ing so I guess I’m good for the day.
No comments:
Post a Comment