Pages

Saturday, December 30, 2023

Best Books of 2023

I’ve read some really good books this year! I finished at a respectable 89 books and I met both the number of books and the book challenge goals. Top genres are sci-fi romance, fantasy/sci-fi, historical mystery, YA, and romance adjacent (which includes a variety of genres with a small romantic subplot; many of my books are in overlapping categories). The YA is a bit of a surprise, but it includes the Spy X Family manga that I borrowed from my nephew. 61% of the books I read, I purchased. And 58% were paper vs electronic, which is opposite from last year, but I did read a bunch of stuff off my shelf so that could be why. 

I decided against listing any web comics this year. My favorites were on hiatus most of the year and others I loved have completed. I’m still reading them, but have gone back to waiting and reading multiple episodes at a time rather than following daily/weekly. It worked for me this year. I’ve learned that anything I think will happen for next year, will probably not, so I’m just rolling with it.


The ones I own in paper

And here’s my list for 2023:

The Wonder Engine and Thornhedge - T Kingfisher - She’s just one of my favorite authors and I love her books. Her writing is comforting.

Spy X Family Vol 8 - Tatsuya Endo - These manga are just consistently cute but I really loved this one. I love the anime as well.  

Know My Name - Chanel Miller - Hard to read but so worth it.

Annapurna: A Woman’s Place - Arlene Blum - Such an interesting look at an expedition to Annapurna. Told from a woman’s perspective, since the whole team were women, it really got into details I’m always curious about, but books by men never mention: logistics, being away from family, etc. 

Float - Kate Marchant - I found this book through the webtoon that is being drawn right now. It’s not perfect but it hit the spot so much and I loved it. Perfect book at the perfect time.

Sally-Ann - Susan Scarlett -I discovered Susan Scarlett (a pseudonym for Noel Streatfeild) this year and this was my favorite. Such a cute, old fashioned romance. I read it multiple times. 

Evil in Emerald, Terror in Topaz - AM Stuart - I just really enjoy this historical mystery series, and Emerald had a real-life character that I might be related to. I’m so happy that she’s decided to self publish another book. 

The Underworld: Journeys to the Depths of the Sea - Susan Casey - I loved this non-fiction book about the depths of the ocean. I can’t wait to read more by this author.

The Bookshop on the Shore - Jenny Colgan - The male lead bugged me a bit, but I got over it pretty quickly and it turned into another perfect book at the perfect time. 

Divine Rivals - Rebecca Ross - I saw this on GR and saw it was included with Kindle Unlimited so I downloaded a copy and then didn’t read it. And then I decided to just check it out and I wasn’t even 20% when I bought the hard cover and pre-ordered book 2. Loved it!

Honorable Mentions:

Dragonsong - Anne McCaffery - This was a childhood favorite that I re-read. I still love this book. Wasn’t really a fan of the other Pern books, but this one I read many, many times. 

Circe - Madeline Miller - This one frustrated me and made me think and I’m still thinking about it. And the ending was just so perfect.  

Lavender House - Lev AC Rosen - This was a great mystery and I ate it up. 

The Witch of Blackbird Pond - Elizabeth George Speare - Another childhood favorite. It’s simpler than I remember, but what from childhood isn’t? I still love it. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment