Pages

Sunday, December 29, 2019

Best Books of 2019

This year I did something different and started tracking my books on a spreadsheet complete with charts and graphs. It was kind of fun and I’m going to keep going next year to get more data, although I think it has been a pretty typical year for reading. I read 117 books in 2019. Mystery was by far my most read genre (not surprising since it’s my favorite). The 2nd most read genre was sci-fi romance, followed by historical romance. That one did surprise me a little because I’ve gotten tired of that particular genre, however, I read a bunch of Carla Kelly’s back-list which explains the number. Without them, it wouldn’t have made the cut. Contemporary romance came in 4th and my top 5 rounds out with YA.  I got 5 classics and 9 non fiction books read. It’s been fun to realize the scope of books that I like as I try things outside my norm. Other statistics which were fun to track: paper vs. ebook. I read more paper, but just barely. I purchased more paper books and borrowed more ebooks (from both Kindle Unlimited and the library). Library books accounted for about 34% of what I read. March was my biggest month with 16 books read and November was my smallest with 4.




And here they are in the order I read them:

The Hollow of Fear – Sherry Thomas
I was reluctant to start this series but it was silly and this one is my favorite so far. I’ve got the next one on my shelf but haven’t gotten to it yet.
Letters to the Lost – Brigid Kemmerer
To an extent, I’ve gotten tired of the contemporary Young Adult genre but I read 3 of Brigid Kemmerer’s books this year and loved them. This one was the first and has been my favorite, so far.
Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine – Gail Honeyman
This one killed me in the best way. I re-read it a few months later and it was still so, so good.
The Lost Man – Jane Harper
I read all 3 of Jane Harper’s published books this year and liked them very much. This one, though. I swear I could feel the heat of the Australian outback from my living room.
The Flatshare – Beth O’Leary
The buzz on this one was positive and I had a feeling so I bought it and found a cute chick lit type of romance but with some depth to the characters.  
Finder – Suzanne Palmer
This book was a breath of fresh air. I don’t read in the non-romance science fiction genre that much and it just felt good. It helps that the MC was just an all-around nice guy and competent and good at his job.
Storm Cursed – Patricia Briggs
A very good installment in a favorite series, plus there’s a scene at the end that completely shocked and wowed me.
Singapore Sapphire – A.M. Stuart
A fun mystery set in Singapore. The characters were so good, but in a first book, not everything is revealed about them. I have to admit I’m dying to find out more about Inspector Gordon. Book 2 next year will be an auto-buy.
The Downstairs Girl – Stacey Lee
This one gave me a lot to think about with the Chinese immigrants in the South. I love it when I get a good story plus learn about things I didn’t know before.
In the Time of the Dragon Moon – Janet Lee Carey
A random pick of YA fantasy with a tiny bit of romance. Fantasy is another genre I need to read in more often.
Murder at Kensington Palace – Andrea Penrose
I’m really enjoying this series. There was some great, if slow, character growth in this one. I’ve had issues with the author in the past for stagnating relationships and fingers crossed it doesn’t happen here. 
No Shortcuts to the Top – Ed Viesturs
This one snuck in at the end of the year. I read 4 mountaineering books this year. They were all good, but this was my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment