Pages

Saturday, December 31, 2022

Best Books 2022

This year’s reading feels a little underwhelming. Still, I did read some good stuff which is listed here, but overall it isn’t the best year for books. Hopefully, I can read more books next year that I really love. I’m wanting that book hangover feeling.  



I read 64 new to me books in 2022. I tried tracking my re-reading and it just didn’t happen. I re-read way too often and rarely a full book. As for stats… My top 5 genres are: Sci-fi romance, Other (which is where I put the Emma Lion books as they didn’t seem to fit my normal genres), Fantasy/Sci-Fi, Historical Romance, and Historical Fiction. A lot of books cross over genres so this is the best I could do to categorize. Mystery, both historical and contemporary (usually a genre I love), was way down this year. I read 5 non-fiction books as well. That’s not bad at all for me.

 

If you combine library and KU to count as borrowed, I borrowed 43 books and purchased 21. That’s a major switch up for me. I did purchase more than 21 books this year; just haven’t read them. And no surprise but I read 27 paper books and 37 ebooks.

 

My Favorites:

The Unselected Journals of Emma M. Lion Volumes 1-6 -  Beth Brower. Hands down this is the best thing I read all year and I’m a huge fan. I’ve read them all twice and can’t wait for more.

 

The Undertaking of Hart and Mercy – Megan Bannen. A You’ve Got Mail type of book which just really hit the spot for me.

 

A Swift and Savage Tide – Chloe Neill. The first book made the list last year. Just a super entertaining story. Can’t wait for more.


Other Birds – Sarah Addison Allen – this one snuck in at the end. I read it in one day and it fit my mood exactly.

 

Half a Soul – Olivia Atwater – this one also snuck in at the end but it was a nice mix of fantasy/regency romance which seemed lighted hearted on the surface but also had depth.

 

So it seems like a short list, although there are series listed. I do have some notable mentions though.

 

Last Light – Claire Kent - This post-apocalyptic romance hit the spot and I read it twice this year.

 

Crow Bones – Anne Bishop - I really loved being back in the world of the Others. Fun, fun book.

 

The Hollow Places – T. Kingfisher - This was creepy and what she created is really creative. It even inspired me to read The Willows (which was interesting but not one I really can say I liked) to see where her inspiration came from.

 

Hunt the Stars and Eclipse the Moon – Jesse Mihalik - She writes SFR just the way I like it. Light on the science.

 

The Spare Man – Mary Robinette Knowal - This was inspired by The Thin Man and while I had some issues with the FMC, it has really stuck with me as a fun read.

 

 

As for web comics, I’ve really scaled back on what I’m reading. I still love a lot of them but just decided I didn’t want to spend an hour every day catching up with all the new episodes. I let a lot of them on Webtoons go back to the free, regular release (saves me money!) and dropped a few on Tapas as well. Part of the scaling back is because my all time favorite has been on hiatus for half of the year for personal reasons. Other favorites have also recently gone on hiatus. I’m totally fine with that but the excitement of new episodes is just missing right now. I’m still avidly following my other all time favorite and periodically, I do catch up on some series. I actually enjoy reading multiple episodes at a time so it feels like a more complete story. Here are some I’m still having a great time with:

 

Webtoon

The Gentle Way – I support the artist on Patreon and absolutely love this one. It gets regular re-reads.

Lore Olympus

Daytime Star

Long After the Ending

The Runway

 

Tapas

The Stormy Inn

My Boss is My Biggest Fan

Beatrice

The Tyrant’s Secret Secretary

I’m the Tyrant’s Secretary

I Confessed to the Boss


Ha ha lot’s of boss/office romance at Tapas. I have no idea what 2023 will bring. I’ve got shelves full of books and have started my annual list of books I’m planning on buying when they are released. It’s not too big yet. Hopefully, that will change. So happy new year and let’s see what 2023 brings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment