So I’m back from my trip to Egypt and I had a great time. I’ll get some pictures posted here to journal the trip.
But in other news... Coronavirus, or COVID-19, as it is actually called.
It’s been in the news since... last fall sometime? I don’t really know. As my trip was approaching, I didn’t feel it was an issue as long as I took the basic precautions. It seems like it was only a few days before my trip when Italy got upgraded to a country to stay away from. And then I feel like while I was gone, it kind of blew up to be a big deal in the states and everywhere else. Or more of a big deal? Egypt also confirmed a case right before we left for home. I consider myself very blessed to have been able to get home with no issues.
Then...I had the bad misfortune to get sick as I got home. It felt like a bad cold, and that’s what it was. I got home Sunday afternoon. I went to work on Monday and left about 3:30 because I was exhausted with jet lag and didn’t think much else but then I realized I was also sick. I did not have a fever or shortness of breath and did not travel to a high risk country so they did not test me. I have not been to work since then and the only time I had left my house beside work, was 6:30 am Monday morning to pick up a few groceries. I figured I’d stay home for a week just to be safe.
Then my boss called me this morning and my company has decided that anyone who has been in a foreign country will have to have a 2 week quarantine before they can come back to work. So I’ll be off for another week. They are going to bring my laptop to me though so I can get some things done. I feel bad for those at work that are doing my job, but I can also understand the need to be safe and not spread disease and me staying home is an easy way to do that.
Oddly enough, the saying on my letter board right now says: Reading takes you places when you have to stay where you are. Funny. And a good thing I have lots of books to read and I can borrow online from a few sources.
Also, I was looking at my pantry this morning. We have been told for years and years to have a supply for hard times. I’ve done a half-assed job of it but I do have more than I thought. I have plenty of dry goods, toilet paper, cleaning supplies and other things that will come in handy. I have water stored, although it’s not enough if I didn’t have a good supply. And I’m a little low on canned goods. Still, I’m grateful for a church that teaches preparedness and I’ve listened a little bit. I can see where I need to make improvements.
Anyway, who would have thought I’d end up quarantined after my trip. Not me, that’s for sure! It’s happening to a lot of people so I’m definitely not alone. I’m just so, so grateful that my quarantine is happening in my own home.
No comments:
Post a Comment