Pages

Friday, March 20, 2020

Egypt, Part 1 - Cairo

I left for Egypt at the end of February and had a wonderful time. I was a little nervous going with a tour group for the first time, but I got to travel with a great group of ladies and we had a wonderful tour guide.


We started in Cairo. I have been to chaotic cities in Asia and was kind of amazed that Cairo is just as chaotic as those in an entirely different way. Traffic is terrible and some days it takes a long time to get anywhere. We didn’t actually get to walk on the regular streets and I’m ok with that. We saw some really beautiful mosques at the beginning of the tour.

On the first night, we got to go to the Sight and Sound show at the pyramids. All of us thought it was a bit ridiculous and overpriced but I’m still glad I did it. It was a fun introduction to the pyramids and Egyptian history.

And we went to the “old” Egyptian Museum. I was a little disappointed at first because, for some reason, I had thought the new museum opened last fall, but it actually opens this coming fall. But I’m actually really glad I got to go to the old one now. As our guide explained to us, very few things are behind glass and most items are displayed right in the open where you could touch them (but didn’t). It was really kind of charming the way things seemed to be haphazardly displayed. It had just a touch of the chaos that seems to be part of the country.


Anyway, it was a fun city to be in...for a couple days. We went to Luxor next and I enjoyed the slower pace and less traffic much more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment