Another year is winding
down and I think I’ve read a lot of good books.
This year’s count is 120.
I think 4 can be considered “classics” and
2 were non-fiction. I did branch out in the horror (or maybe horror-lite would
be a better term) genre this year with good results. Most of the rest of them
were mystery and romance or combination of both with a few fantasy, SFR, and YA
thrown in the mix. I did a bunch of re-reading this year (not counted in my
book count), although I don’t know if it’s more than normal. I do know there
are a handful of books that I kept going back to time and time again because
they were comforting to me.
In no particular order
here are my favorites:
The Wall of Winnepeg and
Me – Mariana Zapata
This is a slow burn
romance that gave me a huge book hangover. It’s not perfect, and could use a
tiny bit more editing but I have re-read this so many times in the past 2 months,
it’s not even funny. For whatever reason it has just appealed to me on so many
levels.
Alex, Approximately –
Jenn Bennett
Aaaahhhhhh…. This was
just a charming YA romance based off of You’ve Got Mail (which is based off of
The Shop Around the Corner which I prefer over the remake but I love old movies
and that’s a topic for another day). If The Cave museum existed in California,
it would be on my list to see ASAP.
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir
– R. A. Dick
Another charming book I
read in one shot. This was just a great feel good book. I had recently seen the
movie and loved the cover of this book, so I bought it. It was totally worth
it.
White Hot – Ilona
Andrews
White Hot and Wildfire
both came out this year and I loved them both, but White Hot is my favorite of
the trilogy. Barely. I will be re-reading all three of these books many, many
times. I still wish the covers weren’t so awful or I’d own them in paperback
also. I still might, one day.
A Town Like Alice –
Neville Shute
I can’t remember where
I heard about this but I had a feeling it would be good, and it was. I loved
both Jean and Joe so much. Jean doesn’t let anything stop her and Joe crosses
half the world to find the woman he only met once but knew he wanted to be with.
The Firebird – Susanna
Kearsley
I read The Firebird and
The Winter Sea this year and both were excellent. I think this barely edges out
as my favorite because of Robbie, who is a character in my favorite Kearsley
book, and this one brings both stories to a good close.
The Bird and the Sword and Making Faces – Amy Harmon
Amy Harmon is a new to
me author and she ended up with 2 books on my list. A romantic fantasy or
contemporary romance, respectively, both are excellent for whatever mood I’m
in.
Money Burns – A. E.
Maxwell
One of my favorite
books in a series I just loved. Crime and a little romance combined with a big
nostalgia factor. I was hooked.
The Bookshop on the
Corner – Jenny Colgan
One of my first 5-star
reads of the year. It’s got 2 things I love: books and Scotland, so the book
was easy to love.
Thick as Thieves – Megan
Whalen Turner
Oh man, this was a great road trip and bromance book. Costis really shined in this book. He really is a good soldier but he’s also so darn nice you just can’t help but love him. Well, I couldn’t anyway.
Oh man, this was a great road trip and bromance book. Costis really shined in this book. He really is a good soldier but he’s also so darn nice you just can’t help but love him. Well, I couldn’t anyway.
A Conjuring of Light –
V.E. Schwab
This book killed me, in
a good way. I still want more.
Speak Easy, Speak Love –
McKelle George
My favorite cover of
the year. This is a retelling of Much Ado About Nothing set in a 1920’s
speakeasy. Yeah, that’s all it took to get me to read it and it was perfect.
The Alice Network – Kate
Quinn
This book worked its
way in at the end of the year. I was totally hooked on this dual timeline novel
about a spy in WWI.
Some runners up or just excellent books I discovered this
year are:
Slade House – David
Mitchell
A “not my kind of book”
that turned out to be exactly my kind of book.
White Lies – Linda
Howard
I read a bunch of LH’s backlist this year and
they are dated and have turned into a kind of guilty pleasure. This one turned
out to be an eye-rolling ultimate comfort read.
The Kraken King –
Meljean Brook
This one was just tons
of fun to read and escape for a while. Too bad the rest of the series doesn’t
appeal to me.
Cainsville Series –
Kelley Armstrong
The love triangle in
this one frustrated me so badly, but I devoured this series and now that it’s
over and the dust has settled, I may actually buy a few of them to keep. Just
not the third one.
Murder on Black Swan
Lane – Andrea Penrose
This was a great historical mystery. I can’t wait to see where it goes.
This was a great historical mystery. I can’t wait to see where it goes.
No comments:
Post a Comment