It has been a cool and wet holiday weekend. I am not complaining. I love it. The mountains are so green and the clouds are down so you can’t see the top. When the clouds move, the parts you can see have snow on them again. It’s just been so pretty.
It’s been a pretty low key weekend. We waited to do our cemetery stuff today. My sister had covid again and today was her officially over it day. It was a bit cold and slightly rainy off and on while we were at the cemetery. We didn’t stay super long and there did seem to be less people out. I’m guessing a lot of people went on Saturday morning before the rain really set in. We did get to hear/see the gun salute and Taps played for our armed forces veterans. My mom cleaned up dad’s headstone a bit and there is a big bush next to him that she cut back. And the kids ran all over and had fun. We aren’t a very sentimental family.
On Friday after work I had made a quick trip to the Wellsville cemetery and there were two men sitting there enjoying the nice weather and the peaceful atmosphere. They told me they were from Colorado and they drove here just to enjoy the cemeteries. In their experience there aren’t a lot of places that decorate graves like we do in Utah. I wouldn’t know, of course. It’s just what we do on Memorial Day and what my mom expects us to continue when she’s gone. It does make me think though that these were real people with real lives and while I have memories of many of them, some of the older family I didn’t know at all.
Not long ago I watched something about family history work on the church website and one girl said she’s been uploading pictures. It occurred to me that maybe that is something I could do. I never know where to start but I could start looking at my pictures and working back. I know I have some pictures of some of my grandparents. At least it’s something.
No comments:
Post a Comment