Since I started down the road of web comics full time last year, I have probably spent between $150.00 -$200.00 on “money” for episodes. I started on Webtoons where I still read the most. Then, after debating with myself for a while, I decided to start using Tapas. And recently, I subscribed to Manta comics after getting sucked into one of theirs. I mean, I could read the free stuff or wait for free episodes but I don’t want to. I’m not worried about the money and I feel like it’s going to support the creators that I’ve really enjoyed. I am still deep down the rabbit hole with web comics and have no plans to come out. There are just so many stories that I’ve loved so much so they’re basically like books in that regard. In fact, I really wish some of them could be published traditionally so I could have a physical copy. I even joined Patreon so I could support some of my favorites. I spend less than $10.00 a month on Patreon so it’s not much at all but it’s something.
I just finished A Business Proposal on Tapas and I have to say it might have beat Midnight Poppy Land for #1 favorite. I’m calling it a tie for now. If MLP were not on hiatus, it’s possible it would still be ahead. A Business Proposal is finished and I absolutely love that I have a complete story to re-read. And I have definitely been re-reading it. It is a rom com that made me laugh out loud and just feel good. A girl goes on a blind date for a friend and pretends to be a femme fatale to get rid of him. Unfortunately for her, he’s decided to marry the blind date to get his grandfather off his back and he’s also the CEO of her company. Hijinks ensue. The comedy reminds me so much of silly comedy in old movies like The Glass Bottom Boat. The misunderstandings get cleared up before too many episodes and there’s not a ton of extra drama. Ha-ri, the main female character is funny, but she’s also smart and has a lot going for her. Taemu, the main male character is the good looking, rich boss. The thing I love the most about their relationship is that he’s all in from the beginning. He doesn’t even question why. And while it may seem like he has the upper hand, she really does have him wrapped around her little finger even if she doesn’t realize it. Besides the story, the art is fantastic. I don’t always love when web comics use the chibi style, even for comedic relief, but it is so funny here. There’s a lot of understated humor that just gets me. Anyway, A Business Proposal has joined MPL on the list of favorites and it will most definitely show up on my "best of" list for 2021.
No comments:
Post a Comment