Pages

Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Germany and Austria 2018

I just got back from a trip to Germany and Austria. I went with my mom because we wanted to see the Christmas markets. I don't even recall how I realized they are a thing. But earlier this year when I really needed something to look forward to, I did a bunch of internet searching to figure out where I wanted to go and we ended up in Barvaria. We stayed in Munich and did a day trip to Nuremburg, a day trip to the castles in Fussen, and then went to Salzburg for a few days.

I've got to say that by time we left, I wasn't very excited and it's not the best trip I've ever been on but I did have a good time. The thing is, you have to enjoy Christmas ornaments and decorating to really enjoy looking at the markets. And it does get to the point that when you've "seen one, you've seen them all" because they all have mostly the same and then some different things in them. My favorite were the manger markets because they had everything you needed to make your own nativity set. I could have had so much fun with that one...but it would have been hard to get the stuff home. Instead, I stuck with a few ornaments.

Munich

I didn't take that many pictures, especially of the Christmas Markets, because it was hard to get good ones.
Nuremburg

Salzburg
I also wanted to see Dachau. It was a rainy morning when we went, which kind of seems fitting, since it was quite sobering. I thought it might be, but you can't really predict how you are going to feel. I felt truly terrible when I went into the Crematorium. My mom didn't even want to go near it and I don't blame her at all. I just think it's so important not to forget how it happened so we don't let it happen again.


I'm just going to say that our trip to Fussen was kind of a bust. Not anything we could prevent, because it was all weather related. We only went into Hohenschwangau because I didn't get advance tickets to Neuschwanstein and didn't want to wait in the lines. We liked Hohenschwangau so that was fun. We were then going to go up to Neuschwanstein and just not go inside, but snow and sleet started coming down and we heard the buses stopped running and that Mary's Bridge was closed. Plus, we had warm clothes but when you get wet, it's just not any fun. So I can say I've been there and I don't feel any need to go back even though I didn't get the full experience. 

Neuschwanstein

Hohenschwangau

Nymphenburg Palace
I'll save my favorite part of the trip for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment