We hiked up to Amethyst Lake, which sits about 10,740
elevation wise. The hike is really not
that hard although I did feel the elevation a little bit. It starts out pretty
level with some minor ups and downs. Then a couple miles in the trail forks and
we took the path up the mountain, which was the hardest part. It wasn’t super
steep, but it was all uphill over a really rocky trail. Then it leveled out again for a bit until we
arrived at the meadow and lake below Amethyst. That’s where we made camp for
the night.
Once we got down we put everything in the car and drove
along Mirror Lake highway. It was a busy weekend. We had decided to camp one
more night in a campground and we found a good place at the Trial Lake
campground. Then in the morning we packed
up and went home.
The trip was fun. Again I’ve realized I don’t really love
hiking (especially with the heavier pack) but I do like to be in the mountains
and Amethyst Lake is just one of those places you can’t get to without using
your feet (or a horse, if you have one).
I really wish I would have taken my book on the hike, but after putting
my pack on, I didn’t want even a tiny bit of extra weight. We had some downtime
that I could have used to read. We also didn’t light a fire the first night and
I just really like campfires. I don’t know why, but sitting around a camp fire
staring in to the flames is one of the most relaxing things.
It won’t be my last backpacking trip, especially after I
bought some of the gear (although some I needed or has multiple uses) but I
probably won’t do another one this year.
I am planning on a couple smaller day hikes when my family goes
camping. I don’t necessarily love hiking
but I do like the views from the top and the physical activity is good for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment