Monday, January 30, 2017

What To Do

The news this morning made me cry. I don’t watch or read news on the weekends because I need time away from all the bad stuff so this morning was a bit of a shocker. It’s like a crazy sci-fi or dystopian book except this is real life.  Sometimes I feel like I’ll wake up and it’s all been a bad dream, but I know it’s not.  He’s been in office barely over a week and look at the mess we’re in. I refuse to call him President. He doesn’t deserve my respect.

I’m a white, middle class, religious, and fairly conservative female and there are a lot of things that don’t personally affect me when things happen in politics. I’m also not that interested in politics. I vote and try to be aware of some of the things going on, but that’s usually the extent of it. I’ve already mentioned that I didn’t vote for him. My philosophy after the election has been to wait and see because there wasn’t much anyone could be doing it seemed, until after the inauguration. Now, I vehemently disagree with what that man is doing and I’m alternating between anger and anxiety about the future.

My typical reaction is to buckle down and wait it out but I don’t think I can do that this time so I’m struggling to figure out what to do. I mean I have to work and do all the things of life but I also need to find a way to stand up for what’s right. It might take me a little time, but it’s something I’m going to work on. Ha ha… this may make some kind of political activist out of me yet.

I read this thing on twitter that said something like if we must fight we must also sing (sorry, I don't know who said it). So I will keep buying books and going to the theater and take my niece ice skating and play playdoh with my nephew and all the things that I am blessed to be able to do. While I’m trying to figure out how to do my part for the here and now, I keep coming back to a recent Sunday school lesson where we talked about how God knows all things before they happen.  While the next 4 years may send the U.S. back to the dark ages politically, this is a tiny bit of time and not even a power hungry president can knock off track the things God has already planned out.  It does help, a little bit. Faith combined with action may be what gets me through it.


No comments:

Post a Comment