Thursday, April 28, 2016

Art and Gardens

I like museums and art although I wouldn’t consider myself having more than a very basic knowledge of art or art history. But if you are in Paris, you have to go to the Louvre, right? It’s been on my list for years.


I had a good time there but when we left I felt like I hadn’t really seen much and started thinking about it and realized my problem. I spent the entire time trying to find the big items I wanted to see and didn’t really let myself just wander or truly look at some of the spectacular art they are showing. Low blood sugar was a part of the problem also. If I ever get to go again, I will just have whoever I am with meet me at the door in a few hours so I can wander by myself...and make sure I have eaten enough before I go.



I did love seeing Winged Victory and can’t help but wonder what she looked like with arms and a head.  


Liberty Leading the People was another I was looking for. We did see the Mona Lisa (you have to, right?) but it has never really been a picture I like. I don’t really care who she was or why the smile.
This was outside the Louvre in the Jardin des Tuileries.
We also went to the Orsay museum. Before I went I would have told you I don’t like the Impressionist art. Well, I still probably say that, but I recognized more of it than I thought I would and I actually do like some of it. And it’s vastly more manageable than the Louvre.

I do like Rodin, although we didn't make it into his museum. This is outside the Orangerie museum.

Since the weather was rainy the first part of the trip, we had a little bit of trouble seeing some of the gardens. Luckily, after a rainy Sunday morning, the sun came out and we got over to the Jardin du Luxembourg. It’s really a beautiful place.
We saw at least 3 Statues of Liberty. I've heard there are more.
 



We also got to the Pere Lachaise cemetery. I didn’t care so much to see where some of the famous people are buried but we did see Chopin’s memorial.  It was a nice walk on a Sunday afternoon.



This one could be sad or freaky, depending on how you look at it. I find it very interesting.





No comments:

Post a Comment