Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Best Books of 2013

Much to my surprise, I ended up reading 99 books this year. I’m over halfway done with #100 but it’s just not going to get finished in 2013.

My 2013 challenge was to read North and South, Dead Souls, and at least one non-fiction book.  I did read North and South but not Dead Souls. I actually read 2 nonfiction books: Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal by Mary Roach, and The Midwife: A Memoir of Birth, Joy, and Hard Times by Jennifer Worth. 
My favorites this year are ones that really stuck with me, even months after I read it. In no particular order, the books I liked best this year are:
Binding the Shadows: Jenn Bennett – this one has the distinction of causing the biggest book hangover
Blackout: Mira Grant – the next biggest book hangover, I read then entire series this year and absolutely loved it
Nowhere But Home: Liza Palmer - pulled on the heart strings the most
Magic Rises: Ilona Andrews – another great addition to one of my favorite series ever
North and South: Elizabeth Gaskell – Thornton vs Darcy? It almost depends on which book I just finished
I Am the Messenger: Markus Zusak – my only audio book and I was surprised how much I loved this one and the narrator might have had a hand in that
Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal: Mary Roach – she makes anything she writes so much fun
Written in Red: Anne Bishop – another big surprise, I borrowed it from the library and then ended up buying it in hardcover because I just couldn’t wait to read it again
Days of Blood & Starlight: Laini Taylor – this book took the story to a whole new level and I think I have to own this series now
Star Gazing: Linda Gillard – first book I read this year and I just loved it, I’ve re-read parts over and over
Honorable mention goes to:
Cinder and Scarlett: Marissa Meyer – these have become “must own” and I’m highly anticipating Cress next year
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society: Mary Ann Shaffer – such a feel good story
The Raven Boys and The Dream Thieves: Maggie Stiefvater – another “must own” series
Mortal Arts: Anna Lee Huber – so excited to have found another historical mystery series that I love, although I’m not so excited about the wait for book 3
For 2014, I think I’m going to try and read one nonfiction book, one “classic”, and I want to read one of the Shakespeare plays I haven’t read yet.  Along with everything else that I normally like to read, of course.
Most Anticipated books for 2014:
Murder of Crows: Anne Bishop
Banishing the Dark: Jenn Bennett
Night Broken: Patricia Briggs
Cress: Marissa Meyer
A Grave Matter: Anna Lee Huber
Dreams of Gods & Monsters: Laini Taylor


No comments:

Post a Comment