Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Lazy Weekend

We just passed Memorial Day weekend. I love 3 day weekends, but it’s still hard to get up to go back to work. I didn’t do a whole lot and it felt great. On Saturday I slept in then cleaned my house and read my book in turns.  Sunday and Monday I spent some time with my family, which I always like to do.

I took the time to purge my bookshelves on Sunday. I have one large 6 shelf and one small 3 shelf and they are overflowing. That’s even after I purged some books. Now, it’s just not as bad. I’m not usually a pack rat but I struggle getting rid of books. I won’t get rid of my favorite books, but I love to re-read and even books that I wouldn’t list as my favorites are still re-readable to me. Then there are books that I just want to keep because I loved them as a kid and I’ve taken the time to find copies of some I didn’t have.  And of course, there are books that I’ve picked up to read someday.  Sometimes I can get rid of a few of those because my tastes have changed or I realize I’m really never going to read them. But most of the time, I read the back cover and think “oh yeah, this sounds good” so even if I don’t want to read it now, I want to read it when that elusive someday comes.
Interestingly, I think that sometimes I just have to wait for the right time to come along. Case in point, this weekend I read Fate’s Edge by Ilona Andrews, who happens to be the author of one of my favorite series. I bought it the day it came out sometime last year and it’s been sitting on my shelf because even though I wanted to read it, I didn’t want to read it at that exact moment. Last week, I read Forever in Blue by Ann Brashares. I’ve had that book in my TBR pile for years (I even owned a copy but I purged it thinking I would never read it – then had to borrow it from the library) and finally the time came when I wanted to finish that series.
I think sometimes if I force myself to read a particular book at a particular time, I don’t enjoy it as much as I would have if I just let the right time come. I wonder if I’m just crazy or if other people do this?

No comments:

Post a Comment